Why should I hire a professional carpet cleaner instead of doing it myself?
Even if you do daily vacuuming and cleaning, your carpets trap a lot of dirt and dust deep down in the fibers. Those particles can cause allergies and lead to health issues, never mind any stains, spots or smells that are keeping you up at night.
The industrial truck-mounted machines that all reputable carpet cleaning companies use hot steam and powerful vacuuming. Those machines penetrate deep into the carpet fibers to remove much more dirt than a regular vacuum.
Many people choose to clean their carpets themselves with a rented carpet cleaner. These low-end steam cleaners will save you money, but leave too much moisture behind that can lead to mold and unpleasant odors in the long-term.
Do I have to be home while my carpet is cleaned?
Although it is not necessary that you are home while your carpets are cleaned, we do recommend that someone is home before we begin cleaning to let the technician in and to talk about any specific needs.
How often should I have my carpets cleaned?
Most experts recommend that you have your carpets professionally cleaned once a year (twice a year or more for heavily trafficked areas).
How often should I vacuum my carpets?
Maintaining your carpets through vacuuming is extremely important. Vacuum your carpet at least once or twice per week to avoid premature wear and to cut down on sand, dirt and other dry soils settling down to the base of your carpet.
How do I prepare for a carpet cleaning?
Our goal is to clean and restore your carpets to a “like new” condition in an environmentally safe manner. Below are some ways to help you prepare for our arrival:
- Temperature settings. After a carpet cleaning, the drying time is optimal if you are able to keep the temperature set between 68 and 72 degrees 12 hours before a technician arrives and 12 hours after we leave. Using fans will help reduce drying time as well. Our team uses our own fans to expedite the drying process while we are cleaning.
- Vacuum. If you are able, we ask that you do a regular vacuuming of your carpet before we arrive.
- Driveways/walkways. In the winter months, we ask that your driveway or walkway is clear of ice and snow to prevent accidents. This allows our technicians to concentrate on the job rather than worrying about their safety.
- Furniture. If your carpet cleaning requires furniture moving of any kind, the technician will move the furniture out of the way, perform the cleaning, then put the furniture back in place. Normal furniture moving and re-placement is included in the carpet cleaning price.
- Breakables. We ask that you take any fragile or delicate items from furniture tops to prevent accidental damage. Our technicians can perform the work quicker and more efficiently if they do not have to worry about balancing delicate items.
- Spots/stains. If there are any particular spots or stains on the carpet, bring it to the attention of the technician before the cleaning.
- Pets. Please keep your pets and animals in a safe and secure area during the carpet cleaning.
- Occupants. No cleaning of any kind can be performed by a technician if the only occupant of the property is under 18 years of age.
Will the carpet cleaning get the padding and sub-floor wet?
No, our hot water extraction system lifts the cleaning solution and dirt in the same step, meaning your carpets are as clean as possible and your padding and sub-floor is dry.
Are the cleaning solutions harmful to my children or pets?
Our basic carpet cleaning solution is similar to your average laundry detergent. As a general rule, keep your children and pets away from the wet carpet until it dries. Then, it is completely safe for the whole family to enjoy.
How long does it take the carpet to dry?
Depending on the weather, humidity and temperature in your home, it takes about 6-10 hours for carpets to dry completely.
How can I speed up the drying process?
To minimize the drying time during the winter months, raise your heat to 70 degrees or more. Ceiling fans, dehumidifiers, bathroom fans, and stove fans can increase circulation and help carpets dry faster.
In the summer months, air conditioning works to remove the moisture from the air and can speed the drying process. Opening windows and doors also helps.
How soon can I walk on my carpets?
Foot traffic (animal and human) should be kept off your newly cleaned carpets for at least 4 hours. Carpets will be damp to the touch after the technician leaves, and mostly dry in 1 to 3 hours. We offer free booties if you absolutely must walk on the carpet.
How long before I can move my furniture back?
A carpet cleaning technician will put furniture back on the carpet with a pad underneath. Wood stains or rust from furniture could blemish the wet carpet if items are set directly on it. Wait for carpet to dry completely before you take your furniture off the pads or blocks.
Why did brown spots appear after my carpet cleaning?
Brown spots are a common phenomenon associated with hot water extraction cleaning. If brown spots that weren’t there before our cleaning appear, call to let us know. We will return to your home and treat them at no extra cost to you. They usually occur for one of two reasons:
- Browning. This is when the tips of the carpet turn dark in large, blotchy spots. This occurs when carpet has a high alkaline content, sometimes because of a previous spill. When diagnosed properly, browning is easily resolved with a treatment that reduces the alkalinity of the carpet.
- Wicking. This is the reappearing of old spots and stains. A spill that may have penetrated the carpet’s backing may have been pulled back up to the surface during the hot water extraction process. These spots usually appear once the technician has left your home and the carpet is dry.
Is it true that carpets get dirty quicker after a carpet cleaning?
The carpet cleaning process has come a long way over the past 10 years. The re-soiling problem that once existed have been corrected with better rinsing agents and more powerful hot water extraction vacuums.